Strand 8.4: Interactions with natural systems and resources
Interactions of matter and energy through geologic processes have led to the uneven distribution of natural resources. Many of these resources are nonrenewable, and per-capita use can cause positive or negative consequences. Global temperatures change due to various factors, and can cause a change in regional climates. As energy flows through the physical world, natural disasters can occur that affect human life. Humans can study patterns in natural systems to anticipate and forecast some future disasters and work to mitigate the outcomes.
- Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence that shows that the uneven distribution of Earth’s mineral, energy, and groundwater resources is caused by geological processes.
- Engage in argument supported by evidence about the effect of per-capita consumption of natural resources on Earth’s systems.
- Design a solution to monitor or mitigate the potential effects of the use of natural resources. Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well each solution meets the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- Analyze and interpret data on the factors that change global temperatures and their effects on regional climates.
- Analyze and interpret patterns of the occurrence of natural hazards to forecast future catastrophic events, and investigate how data are used to develop technologies to mitigate their effects.
pg 4 (3:12) A day in the desert (no narration)
pg 6 (2:00) Sahara Desert and climate change
pg 20 (3:50) Gila Monster
pg 28 – website – Desert Food Web info plus (3:14) video
pg 4 (1:00) Earthquake damage (silent)
pg 6 – website – animations of earthquake terms
pg 12 (1:01) California 1906 (computer animation)
pg 18 (:59) Seismograph
pg 4 (1:55) What is a hurricane?
pg 8 (1:20) NOAA – You can’t stop a hurricane
pg 12 – website – Extreme weather photos
pg 22 (2:08) Hurricane hunters
8 (1:30) Hailstorm
pg 10 – website – disappearing glaciers
pg 12 (2:10) about glaciers
pg 14 – website – Landforms from glaciers
pg 4 (2:35) Availability of fresh water
pg 4 – website – Water cycle details
pg 16 (3:20) Monsoons and their effects (human and economic)
pg 18 (3:45) Understanding weather maps
pg 4 (2:30) Availability of fresh water
pg 8 (3:52) Water treatment
pg 12 (5:00) Modern hydroponics
pg 4 (1:07) How much freshwater?
pg 8 (2:40) cartoon -Water bodies
pg 12 (2:39) cartoon -Earth’s water cycle
pg 10 – website – Water footprint calculator
pg 4 (4:34) Salt Marsh
pg 6 (3:33) Everglades
pg 18 (1:17) Red Spotted LIzard
pg 24 – website – Constructed wetlands to treat wastewater